- DSAA is a platform from where all common issues get addressed with the relevant Govt. Authorities mainly DP World & Dubai Customs, Dubai Airport Immigration, DNATA etc. which as a single member at time finds difficult to achieve for fear of any backlash.
- Every quarter DSAA organises MEET & GREET SERIES with DP World and Customs, wherein the members discuss the problems they face with these departments on day-to-day basis.
- DSAA with the help of members organises various vessel visits, wherein lot of members who visit the vessels gets hand-on experience of how the vessel operates and other functions of vessels etc.
- Based on one of members' request, DSAA organises various meetings / presentation in conjunction with DP WORLD for e.g. Reefer Container, Thomas Cook seminar, Container Course etc.
- Gives access to visiting trade missions, and participates in outward trade missions.
- Offers economies of scale exhibiting at trade exhibitions at home and abroad.
- Exchange of confidential information on disreputable traders, ship-owners, etc.
- Part of a commercial lobbying group.
- Raises the level of professionalism in the industry.
- Offers reduced rates to members to attend DSAA seminars and events, for e.g. in Nov. 2006 DSAA had supported an event called - 2nd Trans M.E. Conference / Exhibition organised by Transport Events of Malaysia, which was held at Al Bustan Rotana Hotel, wherein apart from the special discount offered to DSAA members, 20 members were given a chance to attend this conference free of charge.
- During Dec. 2006 - DSAA had supported Seatrade M.E. conference / exhibition, held at the Convention Centre. Taking into consideration, the efforts put up by DSAA for previous Seatrade events, the Seatrade officials offered one of their conference sessions - Port Development and Liner Shipping - "free of charge" to all DSAA members.
- Part of a joint effort to attract new business to Dubai, e.g. Cruise Vessels.
- Linkage to Web site of DSAA.
- Free listing of your company in various publications for e.g. The Shipbroker's Register, Gulf Freight Directory, The Shipping Gazette, World Directory of Shipping Agents, etc.
- DSAA is a member of FONASBA (Federation of National Association of Ship Brokers and Agents)
- Recently DSAA introduced evening classes for the benefit of its members. The topics have been selected by their Legal & Technical Committee, which are related to shipping industry.
A Report on the Activities of DSAA.
- In Feb. 2006, BIMCO from Denmark had organised a training course called Bills of Lading, held at Hyatt Regency, Deira, wherein DSAA was a support sponsor. Lot of DSAA members availed the special discount offered by BIMCO.
- In February 2006, DSAA had supported an organisation from USA called Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals to organise their conference on First Global Supply Chain and Logistics held at Jumeirah Beach Hotel.
- In April 2006, DSAA had supported one more event called APTS M.E. held in Grand Hyatt.
- In May / June 2006, DSAA with the help of members organised various vessel visits, wherein lot of members who visited the vessels had hand-on experience of how the vessel operates and other functions of vessels etc. This event of ours has a good response hence DSAA wishes to continue in 2007, for the benefit of members.
- In June 2006, DSAA had supported a Logistics Conference organised by Marcus Evens of Malaysia.
- As a part of our ongoing efforts, DSAA takes up a one-2-one meeting with the government authorities every quarter, for the benefit of its members. The need to bring all the shipping agents under one roof to discuss their views with the Govt. Depts. was felt and this was considered the best way. Hence this event was named as MEET & GREET. In Nov. 2006 we held an interactive workshop, wherein the issues related to our members' business on daily basis are discussed with Dubai Ports World and Customs Dept. For this meeting, DP World had requested that non members of DSAA like freight forwarders, clearing agents and transporters etc., should also be invited along with the shipping agents, which was more interactive. These interactions have proved very beneficial to the shipping community and to the related service providers like transporters and agents. The concept of mutually discussing the issues relating to Shipping, Trade, Port and customs has offered the convenience of a not only a single window service but has also provided a platform where the existing systems and procedures are reviewed and refined .We appreciate the excellent vision and cooperation of the local Port and Customs authorities who have been very responsive to the needs of the trade.
- Sept. 2006 - DSAA had supported another conference / exhibition called Total Logistics Conference organised by Marcus Evans, Malaysia held in Mumbai.
- Based on one of members' request, DSAA had organised a presentation on Reefer Container in conjunction with DP WORLD, which was attended by almost 65 members.
- In Nov. 2006 DSAA had supported an event called - 2nd Trans M.E. Conference / Exhibition organised by Transport Events of Malaysia, which was held at Al Bustan Rotana Hotel, wherein apart from the special discount offered to DSAA members, 20 members were given a chance to attend this conference free of charge.
- During Dec. 2006 - DSAA had supported Seatrade M.E. conference / exhibition, held at the Convention Centre. Taking into consideration, the efforts put up by DSAA for previous Seatrade events, the officials offered one of their conference sessions - Port Development and Liner Shipping - "free of charge" to all DSAA members.
The DSAA has 2 sub-committees:-
- 1. Legal & Technical Committee
- 2. Recreation Committee
- Legal & Technical Committee members attends to the legal and technical matters which has the responsibility to study and recommend improvements and in this connection it can be confidently asserted that these meetings have resulted in uplifting the general standards and efficiency of the operating practices in this region.
- Recreation Committee members organizes various recreation activities like cricket, bowling etc. In future they are planning to organize football, throw ball for ladies, badminton tournament etc.
- Annual Gala Dinner Night will be held at Al Meydan Hotel during April.
- Regular meetings of the executive committee members are held from time to time to discuss progress on all the activities of DSAA, membership drive, etc.
- The Executive Committee would be more than pleased to have your comments, suggestions for DSAA future activities and or on any other general issues of interest.
- We are pleased to advise you that the total strength of the membership of DSAA as of end December 2012, is 101 members.
Thanking you once again for your kind support, we remain.
FOR AND BEHALF OF EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE OF DUBAI SHIPPING AGENTS ASSOCIATION